California – Work Zone Traffic Control Supervisor “High Speed” Training Course
This comprehensive course fills a void that has existed regarding the training of California highway engineers, and traffic control supervisors, having to plan, design and inspect traffic control systems in California’s unique massive high volume, high speed traffic environments.
This two day course emphasizes Caltrans specifications and utilizes California’s Manual of Traffic Controls as the basic reference document. A course module on Caltran’s, Construction Zone Enforcement Enhancement Program (COZEEP) and Work Zone Flagging have been added to make the training course more comprehensive.
Have one years (2,000 hours) experience in temporary traffic control, including one or more of the following: direct responsibility for placement of work zone traffic control devices, direct responsibility for field maintenance of work zone traffic control devices, inspection of the placement of operational function of work zone traffic control devices and/or supervision of traffic control crews.
EACH STUDENT WILL RECEIVE
- The Basic Course Handbook
- A California Manual of Traffic Controls
- Traffic Control Device
- Quality Standards booklet
- CT Flaggers Manual
- CMS Guidelines booklet
- Field Inspection Guidelines booklet
- and other helpful course materials.
In addition, the student will receive a Certificate of Training that will acknowledge their participation in this comprehensive two-day work zone training course.
THE FOLLOWING TOPICS ARE COVERED IN THIS COURSE
Part 1 – The Traffic Control Supevisor
Part 2 – Traffic Control Supervisor Basics
Part 3 – The Traffic Control Plan
Part 4 – The Elements of the Traffic control Zone
Part 5 – Signs and supports
Part 6 – Channelizing Devices
Part 7 – The Crashworthy Roadway (Guardrails and Crash Cushions)
Part 8 – COZEEP (History and Coordination Issues)
Part 9 – Work Zone Flagging Basics
Course Quiz and Certificates of Training
Gordon Wang, P.E.
Transportation Engineer; Former Temporary Traffic Control (TTC) Expert, Caltrans
- Registered professional engineer with more than 20 years of experience
- Temporary Traffic Control (TTC) and Flagging instructor at UC Berkeley Tech Transfer Program
- Technical member of the National Committee on Uniform Traffic Control Devices
- Expert on TTC for California State DOT (Caltrans)
- In charge of the Standard Plans and Specifications for TTC Systems
- Initiated and completed action items in the California Strategic Highway Safety Plan (SHSP)
- Provides statements and depositions as the most knowledgeable person from Caltrans in legal cases involving work zone traffic incidents.
- Provided training at MSA, Traffic Control Supervisors Association (TCSA), and American Traffic Safety Services Association (ATSSA) State & National Conferences (ATSSA EXPO, etc.).
California Department of Transportation, Caltrans
- Engineering Technician, Traffic Operations, Caltrans Dist 07, Los Angeles
- Engineering Technician, Assistant Resident Engineer (Major Freeways)
- Transportation Engineer Principal Assistant Resident Engineer
- Transportation Engineer, Dist 07 Traffic Management Team
- Transportation Engineer, Construction Traffic Advisor and Safety Advisor
- Assisted in developing training modules provided statewide to Caltrans Field Engineers
- Annually developed and delivered training modules focusing on work zone safety for Caltrans District 07 Division of Construction Field staff
- Completed 10-hour OSHA Construction Safety & Health training
- Completed 30-hour OSHA Construction Safety & Health training
- Completed Flagger Training required by Cal OSHA Section 1599
- Completed Cal OSHA training for Roadway Construction
$315 per student (F.B.A. Member)
$375 per student (Non-Member)
CALL (916) 660-0746 FOR CLASS INFORMATION
This course has been reviewed and endorsed by the Flasher Barricade Association.