California – Caltrans Approved Traffic Control Technician Class (CATCTC)
This one-day (8-hour) Traffic Control Technician Class has been reviewed and approved by Caltrans for those who will be install and manage temporary traffic control for work zones on state highways. This class is based on Caltrans Stand Plans and Specifications and is in compliant with the California Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (CA MUTCD), Cal-OSHA Sections 1598 & 1599, and California Vehicle Code Section 21400.
Students who attend the full 8-hours in-person class and pass the exams with a final score of 80% or better (missing no more than 6 questions); will become certified to work as Traffic Control Technicians on Caltrans projects for 3 years from the date of completion.
THE FOLLOWING TOPICS ARE COVERED IN THIS COURSE
• Temporary Traffic Control for various types of roadway situations on state highways
• Cal/OSHA training and safety regulation, worker safety, and work zone tort liability
• Requirements to protect the driving public and work zone crew
• Developing traffic control plans for work zones in accordance with CA MUTCD
• Install, manage and remove traffic control devices for work zones correctly and safely
• Meet the needs of all modes of traffic (drivers, pedestrians and bicyclists) through work zone
• Introduction: Temporary Traffic Control regulations (CA MUTCD, Caltrans Spec and Std. Plans)
• Worker Safety: Cal/OSHA regulations, PPEs including high visibility apparel
• Traffic Control Devices in CA MUTCD: signs, channelizing devices, pavement markings
• Caltrans Temporary Traffic Control (TTC) Plans: layouts, areas, signs, tapers and buffer spacing
• Pedestrian & Bicyclist TTC: principles of TTC and American with Disabilities Act (ADA) standards
• CA MUTCD Short Duration & Mobile Work: work durations, TTCs, and Positive Protection
• Traffic Control Plans (TCP): Caltrans Standard Plans (T-sheets), CA MUTCD Typical Applications
• Instructor led example TCP and class excises done by students using Caltrans Plan T-9
• Conducting TTC in Work Zones: installation, maintenance, and removal of TTC
• Evaluation and Documentation of TTC: monitoring, record keeping and crash management
• Final Exam based on CA MUTCD and Caltrans Standards (score 80% or higher to pass)
Gong Wang, P.E.
Transportation Engineer; Former Temporary Traffic Control (TTC) Expert, Caltrans
- Registered professional engineer with more than 20 years of experience
- Temporary Traffic Control (TTC) and Flagging instructor at UC Berkeley Tech Transfer Program
- Technical member of the National Committee on Uniform Traffic Control Devices
- Expert on TTC for California State DOT (Caltrans)
- In charge of the Standard Plans and Specifications for TTC Systems
- Initiated and completed action items in the California Strategic Highway Safety Plan (SHSP)
- Provides statements and depositions as the most knowledgeable person from Caltrans in legal cases involving work zone traffic incidents.
- Provided training at MSA, Traffic Control Supervisors Association (TCSA), and American Traffic Safety Services Association (ATSSA) State & National Conferences (ATSSA EXPO, etc.).
California Department of Transportation, Caltrans
- Engineering Technician, Traffic Operations, Caltrans Dist 07, Los Angeles
- Engineering Technician, Assistant Resident Engineer (Major Freeways)
- Transportation Engineer Principal Assistant Resident Engineer
- Transportation Engineer, Dist 07 Traffic Management Team
- Transportation Engineer, Construction Traffic Advisor and Safety Advisor
- Assisted in developing training modules provided statewide to Caltrans Field Engineers
- Annually developed and delivered training modules focusing on work zone safety for Caltrans District 07 Division of Construction Field staff
- Completed 10-hour OSHA Construction Safety & Health training
- Completed 30-hour OSHA Construction Safety & Health training
- Completed Flagger Training required by Cal OSHA Section 1599
- Completed Cal OSHA training for Roadway Construction
$240 per student
$215 per student
[email protected] FOR CLASS INFORMATION
This course has been reviewed and endorsed by the Flasher Barricade Association.
We train groups of 12+ at your location or ours.
NON SCHEDULED AT THIS TIME.
This course can be combined with Certified Flagger training for a more comprehensive course.
$315 FBA member / $365 Non member (Flagger and TCT class combo)