California – Certified Flagger Class (Minimum 4 hours)
This training meets certified flagger requirements for Caltrans contracts
This course is an introduction to the basic principles of work zone flagging as outlined in the Cal/OSHA, Construction Safety Orders: 1599(f) and 1599(g). This 4 hour training course is designed to provide hands-on instruction as well as instruct the student on the basic fundamentals of traffic control work zone flagging, in accordance with the current California Manual on Uniform Traffic Controls Devices (CA MUTCD). The Caltrans “Flagging Instruction Handbook” states, “All flaggers shall know the fundamentals of flagging before being assigned as a flagger.”
This course will enable the student to apply practical concepts and provide the student with the practical knowledge needed to satisfy Cal/OSHA’s requirements. Students are required to complete a written examination and demonstrate the basic skills of flagging. Students who successfully pass the written and in-person exam will receive a “Certified Flagger” Card.
• Describe why proper flagger operations are important
• List the abilities of a good flagger
• Use standard references as they pertain to flagger control
• Know proper flagging signals and procedures
• Know flagger practices for various typical situations
• Know recommended practices for sign installation and removal
THE FOLLOWING TOPICS ARE COVERED IN THIS COURSE
• Flagger: An Important Profession
• Flagger Standards/Guidelines (based on CA MUTCD)
• Component Parts of Temporary Traffic Control – TTC Zone (based on CA MUTCD)
• Layout of the Work Zone and Flagging Station (based on CA MUTCD)
• Flagging Equipment which must be used
• Typical Situations/Practices
• Installation and Removal of Signs (based on CA MUTCD)
• Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs including High-visibility Clothing)
• Work Zone Layout and Flagger Station (based on CA MUTCD)
• Hand-Signaling Procedures for Traffic to Stop, Proceed or Slow Down (based on CA MUTCD)
• Demonstration of Proper Flagger Methodology
• Methods of One-Lane, Two-Way Traffic Control (based on CA MUTCD)
• Flagging Procedures When a Single Flagger is Used (based on CA MUTCD)
• Handling Emergency Vehicles Traveling Through the Work Zone
• Handling Emergency Situations
• Methods of Dealing with Hostile Drivers
• Course Quiz and Certificates of Training
Gong Wang, P.E.
Transportation Engineer; Former Temporary Traffic Control (TTC) Expert, Caltrans
- Registered professional engineer with more than 20 years of experience
- Temporary Traffic Control (TTC) and Flagging instructor at UC Berkeley Tech Transfer Program
- Technical member of the National Committee on Uniform Traffic Control Devices
- Expert on TTC for California State DOT (Caltrans)
- In charge of the Standard Plans and Specifications for TTC Systems
- Initiated and completed action items in the California Strategic Highway Safety Plan (SHSP)
- Provides statements and depositions as the most knowledgeable person from Caltrans in legal cases involving work zone traffic incidents.
- Provided training at MSA, Traffic Control Supervisors Association (TCSA), and American Traffic Safety Services Association (ATSSA) State & National Conferences (ATSSA EXPO, etc.).
California Department of Transportation, Caltrans
- Engineering Technician, Traffic Operations, Caltrans Dist 07, Los Angeles
- Engineering Technician, Assistant Resident Engineer (Major Freeways)
- Transportation Engineer Principal Assistant Resident Engineer
- Transportation Engineer, Dist 07 Traffic Management Team
- Transportation Engineer, Construction Traffic Advisor and Safety Advisor
- Assisted in developing training modules provided statewide to Caltrans Field Engineers
- Annually developed and delivered training modules focusing on work zone safety for Caltrans District 07 Division of Construction Field staff
- Completed 10-hour OSHA Construction Safety & Health training
- Completed 30-hour OSHA Construction Safety & Health training
- Completed Flagger Training required by Cal OSHA Section 1599
- Completed Cal OSHA training for Roadway Construction
Minimum 4 Hours
$150 per student
$175 per student
[email protected] FOR CLASS INFORMATION
This course has been reviewed and endorsed by the Flasher Barricade Association.
We train groups of 12+ at your location or ours.
NON SCHEDULED AT THIS TIME.
This course can be combined with Traffic Control Technician (TCT) training for a more comprehensive course.
$315 FBA member / $365 Non member (Flagger and TCT class combo)