California – Work Zone Traffic Control Technician Training Course for Cities and Counties
This course is an introduction to the basic principles of temporary work zone traffic control. The one-day training course is designed to instruct the student on the basic fundamentals of traffic controls as set forth in accordance with the current California Manual of Traffic Controls (MTC) referred to in the California Vehicle Code, Section 21400.
The Cal MTC states,”only individuals who are trained and/or experienced in the principles of traffic control should be assigned that responsibility at work sites …. page 5-3.”
This 8-hour course provides the student with the practical knowledge that a Traffic Control Technician needs to properly install and maintain a work zone traffic control system. The student will be instructed when to make traffic control system adjustments and when to reject substandard materials. Although this is not a personal safety course, doing traffic control safely is emphasized. Students are required to complete a 50-question quiz. The answers for each question will be reviewed with the class. Each student will receive a Certificate of Completion acknowledging participation in this comprehensive training course.
EACH STUDENT WILL RECEIVE
- California Manual of Traffic Controls
- Paper and pens
- Quality Standards for Work Zone Traffic Control Devices
EACH STUDENT WILL RECEIVE A “CERTIFICATE OF TRAINING” UPON SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION TO BE PRESENTED AT THE END OF THE TRAINING SESSION.
THE FOLLOWING TOPICS ARE COVERED IN THIS COURSE
Part 1 – Introduction
Part 2 – The Traffic Control Technician
Part 3 – Traffic Control Basics
Part 4 – The Elements of a Traffic Control Zone
Part 5 – Signs and Sign Supports
Part 6 – Channelizing Devices
Part 7 – Review – Work Zone Flagging Requirements
Part 8 – 50 Question Quiz (with review in class)
Gordon Wang, P.E.
Transportation Engineer; Former Temporary Traffic Control (TTC) Expert, Caltrans
- Registered professional engineer with more than 20 years of experience
- Temporary Traffic Control (TTC) and Flagging instructor at UC Berkeley Tech Transfer Program
- Technical member of the National Committee on Uniform Traffic Control Devices
- Expert on TTC for California State DOT (Caltrans)
- In charge of the Standard Plans and Specifications for TTC Systems
- Initiated and completed action items in the California Strategic Highway Safety Plan (SHSP)
- Provides statements and depositions as the most knowledgeable person from Caltrans in legal cases involving work zone traffic incidents.
- Provided training at MSA, Traffic Control Supervisors Association (TCSA), and American Traffic Safety Services Association (ATSSA) State & National Conferences (ATSSA EXPO, etc.).
California Department of Transportation, Caltrans
- Engineering Technician, Traffic Operations, Caltrans Dist 07, Los Angeles
- Engineering Technician, Assistant Resident Engineer (Major Freeways)
- Transportation Engineer Principal Assistant Resident Engineer
- Transportation Engineer, Dist 07 Traffic Management Team
- Transportation Engineer, Construction Traffic Advisor and Safety Advisor
- Assisted in developing training modules provided statewide to Caltrans Field Engineers
- Annually developed and delivered training modules focusing on work zone safety for Caltrans District 07 Division of Construction Field staff
- Completed 10-hour OSHA Construction Safety & Health training
- Completed 30-hour OSHA Construction Safety & Health training
- Completed Flagger Training required by Cal OSHA Section 1599
- Completed Cal OSHA training for Roadway Construction
$175 per student
$225 per student
[email protected] FOR CLASS INFORMATION
This course has been reviewed and endorsed by the Flasher Barricade Association.
Note: We are currently training groups of 10-12+ onsite only.
This course can be combined with Flagger training in a more comprehensive course. See “California-Combination Work Zone Traffic Control Technician & Flagger Training Course for Counties and Cities”.